[Labs-l] Goodbye tools-mc, long live tools-redis

Yuvi Panda yuvipanda at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 19:56:06 UTC 2013

Hello!

tools-mc hosted a Redis instance that has been getting usage from
quite a few tools now (I know of at least 4). It had only 2GB of RAM,
however, and only 1GB was for Redis. Since redis keeps all data in
memory, this is clearly not enough as more and more tools use it :)

Thanks to help from Tim, we now have tools-redis, which has 7GB of
memory for Redis. That should give us more growing room for a  long
time to come :) Redis is fast and has a lot of features that make
caching / inter-tool-communication rather easy - see
http://redis.io/commands for list of major features :)

tools-mc hosted a redis intance and a memcached instance. The
memcacahed instance will go away on August 8th, and the entire
instance will be shut down on September 6th. Please migrate your
memcached tools to use Redis before Aug 8th, and on to tools-redis
(than tools-mc) before September 6th.

Thank you!

--
Yuvi Panda T