[Labs-l] suexec configuration

Sorawee Porncharoenwase nullzero.free at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 12:54:56 UTC 2013

Hello!

At bots project, it seems that suexec is currently misconfigured. Last
week, I noticed that /var/log/apache2/suexec.log has message like "cannot
get docroot information (/home/nullzero)", I am sure that docroot now is my
home directory (/home/nullzero is my home directory). I tested this
assumption by mkdir public_html in my home directory, and found that my
assumption is correct; message in /var/log/apache2/suexec.log after mkdir
changed to "command not in docroot
(/data/project/public_html/nullzero/cgi-bin/test.py)". This mean that
docroot is currently wrong. To solve this problem, docroot should be
changed to /data/project/public_html.

I am not only one who face this problem, DrTrigonBot has this problem too.
I found this error on /var/log/apache2/suexec.log: [2013-04-16 07:09:52]:
command not in docroot
(/data/project/DrTrigonBot/public_html/cgi-bin/panel.py).

After searching Google (To be honest, I haven't configured apache2 before),
I found some links which is releted to my problem. It seems that apache2
needs to be recompiled in order to change suexec docroot

- http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=5313
- http://blog.chty.org/post/2008/08/12/Changing-suexec-root-directory
-
http://serverfault.com/questions/402418/how-to-change-suexec-root-directory-from-var-www-to-home

These are all I know about this problem.

Thank you :)