[Labs-l] New Project Request Backlog

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Sat Apr 20 06:08:06 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not extend the permissions to create projects to some user group?
> More people who could deal with that would speed up the process.
> Creation of new projects isn't more dangerous than ability to create
> new instances

Creating projects without thought as to whether or not the project should
be created, rather than suggesting a user use an already existing project
is a problem. Projects can't be deleted or renamed very easily and they do
add overhead in a number of things: more LDAP entries, more posix groups,
more projects to look at when looking for already existing projects for
people to join, more nfs/gluster volumes, etc..

The project backlog often isn't terrible and we very often see that
projects shouldn't be created, but instead people should join projects like
tools or that new projects that make things easier should be created.

- Ryan