[Labs-l] Licensing: CC vs. ODbL vs. ???

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Sep 28 04:28:47 UTC 2012

Am 28.09.2012 05:57, schrieb aude:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Tomasz Finc <tfinc at wikimedia.org
> <mailto:tfinc at wikimedia.org>> wrote:
>
>     The mobile team needs to know how to proceed as well. We use OSM tiles
>     for our near by view within the Wikipedia app.
>

> They haven't updated their rendering yet to use OBDL data.  It still
> needs to say CC-BY-SA for now.
Well... partly:
The main osm rendering now works on ODBL data, so every tile that's
rendering now is rendered from ODBL data.
Nevertheless the rendered TILES themself stay CC-BY-SA as these are
produced works, which is allowed under ODBL, but the data is now ODBL.

For the Toolserver Rendering chain Kai said he initialized a fresh
reimport with ODBL-Data to a new database and wanted to switch around
now somewhen, so that up to more or less now here ODBL-Data is used too.

But even if you were right and "it still (were) CC-BY-SA for now" we're
talking about Toolserver being cut of in the next one to two years at
longest, and somewhen in that timespa WILL be the point where OSM data
is ODBL only.

regards
Peter