[Labs-l] saving up some public IP by using a common proxy?

208.97.132.231 damian at damianzaremba.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 02:35:37 UTC 2012

On 27/09/2012 23:06, Antoine Musso wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It looks like lot of instances are requesting a public IP address for
> their HTTP server. I was wondering if we could create a frontend proxy
> that would take care of redirecting the request to the instance.  That
> would probably save up a good amount of IP from the pool.
>
> On the integration project, we have one instance with a public IP and
> Apache, I have setup mod_proxy to serve some other "private" instance.
> The very basic configuration requires to enable mod_proxy and
> mod_proxy_http then:
>

>    ProxyPass /application-one http://10.4.0.123/application-one
>    ProxyPassReverse /application-one http://10.4.0.123/application-one
>    ProxyRequests Off # reverse proxy
>
>    <Proxy http://10.4.0.123/application-one*>
>          Order deny,allow
>          Allow from all
>    </Proxy>
>
> That makes the app available as a subdirectory of the public facing
> domain name: http://integration.wmflabs.org/application-one
> Using virtual hosts it can be made to serve a different domain out of
> the same proxy.
>

> Does it make any sense to setup a frontend varnish that would direct
> requests to internal instances?

This is on the roadmap for October-December (not sure if it's going to
get pushed back or not), a rough detail of what we need is @
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Labs/Reverse_proxy_for_web_services.
Feel free to contribute ideas there.

I agree this is something we really need to start working on; however it
needs to be done right, so we don't suffer longer term.

Damian