[Labs-l] Ability of Labs to be the new WMDE Toolserver by 2014

DeltaQuad Wikipedia deltaquadwiki at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 10:02:45 UTC 2012

I have some general questions for Labs Administrators as WMDE is looking
for Labs to be a relatively good environment for current Toolserver users
by 2014. (See "[Toolserver-l] Future of the toolserver" [1 - Full thread]
[2 - Message of this post] and WMDE Draft budget [3])

1) Is there any plan right now to do database replication of WMF wiki
servers or at the very least an equivalent? (Currently a problem for many
and personally on one of my MMPs @ Toolserver)
2) Is Labs (myself not knowing what supports it) going to be able to handle
all of the tools and users that Toolserver has currently if we *all*
migrated?
3) Is there a guide for both non-registered users to get registered and a
guide for people who have registered but have no clue what they are doing
or how to operate anything? (Myself being in the latter group)
4) Is there anything we should know about that could inhibit this transfer
besides question #1?

I'm sure there are more questions from Toolserver users, but this will at
least give us a starting point to see if a migration is possible.

[1]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/toolserver-l/2012-September/thread.html#5275
[2]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/toolserver-l/2012-September/005281.html
[3]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland/2013_annual_plan_draft/en

DeltaQuad
English Wikipedia Administrator and CheckUser
UTRS and ACC developer