[Labs-l] The bastion host is only meant as an ssh bastion

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 27 18:37:44 UTC 2012

We've recently had a problem where a cron running on the bastion host was
consuming all memory and killing ssh sessions. The bastion host is not
meant to be used for anything other than an ssh bastion. That means the
only thing you should be running on that host is ssh.

We're disabling cron and at on bastion hosts. We'll also occasionally kill
any process running that shouldn't be running on them. We've done that
today.

If you're looking for a place to run a cron, irc bot, etc, then we can find
a project that's appropriate, or create a project for you.

- Ryan