[Labs-l] google search for 'wikimedia labs' gives the wrong result

Chad Horohoe chorohoe at wikimedia.org
Wed May 2 02:11:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Ryan Lane <rlane32 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> More out of interest than anything else, why is it so hard/impossible to
>> fully delete wikis?  Is it simply that it's never been done before and so
>> there's no process for doing it?  (In which case what about instances like
>> september11wiki?)  Or is there some circular dependency that can't be
>> broken?
>>

> As far as I know we've just never done it, so nothing exists for doing
> it cleanly.

I think it's out of paranoia more than anything. In theory we should
be able to do it, but we're afraid of things like CentralAuth that may
have dangling references to the now-gone wiki.

If we documented the process really well the first time we did it, I
don't think it'll be as hard as we think.

-Chad