[Labs-l] Labs to host wikilovesmonuments.org?

Maarten Dammers maarten at mdammers.nl
Sun Mar 11 15:40:28 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

For Wiki Loves Monuments we currently have a website at
http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu/ . We're going to move that to
http://www.wikilovesmonuments.org/ so this is a good moment to think
about how we're going to do this. Currently this website is hosted on a
standard virtual machine paid for by Wikimedia Nederland. Wordpress was
installed, some custom add ons and a skin was added. Some people have
Wordpress accounts and a few (one or two?) people have shell access.
Having a VM is flexible, but because only a few people have shell
installing things or solving problems can take a while. The server isn't
really monitored and maintained on a regular basis.

We wrote down some basic requirements.
* LAMP server
* Wordpress installed + caching + our custom skins etc
* Enough rights for Elke and others to be able to do their job
* Enough resources in September to be able to handle the huge amount of hits
* Monitored and maintained

For the first points we could just get a VM anywhere, but the last point
is the problematic one. Might this be something to host on the labs?
That way it would be much easier to have this community supported.

Maarten