[Labs-l] git-review: guinea pigs wanted

Roan Kattouw roan.kattouw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 21:04:23 UTC 2012

>From a presentation by the OpenStack people at linux.conf.au, I
learned about a nifty tool called git-review. The short explanation
for what git-review does is "figure out whatever the magic git
incantation is that I need to make Gerrit happy this time, and run it
for me". A longer explanation is posted at
https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Git-review . The setup
instructions are a bit involved currently because the Wikimedia fork
has features that haven't been upstreamed yet but that are necessary
to make git-review work with our puppet repository, and because I
haven't gotten around to making a proper Debian package for git-review
just yet.

If this works for people, I want to make this the default way of doing
things, and the only documented and supported way. We could throw out
all the instructions regarding manual setup of remotes, aliases and
commit-msg hooks (git-review handles all of these things) and tell
people to just run "git review" and it'll just do what you want.

Before we make this The New Way of Doing Everything, though, I would
like some people to test it and tell me how well it works for them.
So, if you're interested in trying this out, please do, and I'll help
you with any issues you might run into.

Roan