[Labs-l] monitoring / control system for bots

Petr Bena benapetr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 10:13:42 UTC 2012

Hi,

Someone once suggested we create a control panel for bots. I think the
first step would be to create a page where we could see overview of all
bots we are running on projects. If we create some protocol for querying
bot status we could create some central monitoring server which would
either:

* Query actively each bot for a status (on some address and IP)
* Each bot would contact this server delivering the information to it

I would support the second as it's easier to manage - in first case we
would need to configure the "master server" with list of bots to query.

The system could be simply set of a daemon written in any language and a
php script. Bots would contact the server using php script (they would just
pass information whether they are running or having troubles using some
POST data) daemon would periodically flag all bots that didn't respond for
a certain period as having troubles / needing repair.

Thanks to this we would have overview of all active bots on all projects
and their status. What do you think? Is someone interested in working on
that.