[Labs-l] Sumana Harihareswara as tools community liaison for Labs

Robin Krahl me at robin-krahl.de
Sun Dec 23 14:43:51 UTC 2012

Hi Sumana,

I appreciate that you are trying to improve the usability of Labs for
former toolserver users. I am just about to test how I can use Labs for
the tools and the bot that I already run on the toolserver.

My first problem is that the registration process is too complex: I
created an account on wmflabs.org. Then I requested shell access. I
uploaded my SSH key to gerrit. Now I have to upload my SSH key to
wmflabs.org. Before I can do this, I have to contact a Nova
administrator. Then I have to contact the webtools project owners. (And
I do not know yet what I will have to do after that.)

Now I remember my registration on the toolserver: I provided my personal
data and my SSH key, and I was added to all relevant services I needed
and requested. I think it would be very helpful to simplify the
registration process on Labs. At least the request for shell access and
Nova credentials as well as the SSH key upload could be handled by the
registration form.

I have not requested Nova credentials yet, so I was not able to test
everything. But even now I am missing some important information: Whom
do I need to contact for Nova credentials? Special:NovaKey says: ‘Please
ask a Nova administrator to create credentials for you.’ Well — where do
I find a list of Nova admins?

I guess I will encounter futher problems once I have access to the
webtools project, but maybe I can figure it out by myself. But I am sure
that a step-by-step manual how to create a simple Hello World tool would
be very helpful to users who are not familiar to Labs.

So I hope this feedback helps you to improve the documentation and
processes on Labs.

Best regards,
Robin

---