[Labs-l] labs questions!

Ryan Lane rlane32 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 22:26:09 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Silke Meyer <silke.meyer at wikimedia.de>wrote:

> Hello everybody!

Hi!

> To bring some light into the darkness, it would be great, if you could
> give me some answers. I would like to know:
>
> * how to make two labs instances talk to each other on the level of the
> mysql database. I created a security group for this that permits mysql
> connections on port 3306 inside labs, added two servers (Wikidata repo
> and client with the client configured to look for the "internal" IP of
> the repo). But the client doesn't see the repo yet. What else would I
> have to configure?

Are both of these servers in the same project? If so, you don't need to
muck around with security groups at all. Instances in the same project can
talk to each other on all ports by default in our configuration.

Is the MySQL daemon configured to listen on 0.0.0.0?

> * how to configure Nagios in labs. I tried to add a file to
> /etc/nagios/nrpe.d/blah.cfg and use a plugin but nothing more than the
> default appears on the nagios.wmflabs.org page of my hostgroup/labs
> instance. Is there any documentation about this? Where? How are users
> supposed to use it? Do I have to ping anyone to restart the Nagios
> server on each modification I make?

Our nagios setup in labs is odd. Maybe petan and/or damianz can chime in on
this?

> * if the customized Debian packages are documented anywhere. The puppet
> way of installing mediawiki installs a package called
> wikimedia-task-appserver for example. Where can I find out what packages
> like that one contain?

Either in svn, or in git:

http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/debs/

In git they are at: operations/debs/<package-name>

On the system itself, if you just want to see the package contents:

dpkg -L <package-name>

- Ryan