[Labs-l] labs questions!

Roan Kattouw roan.kattouw at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 21:58:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Silke Meyer <silke.meyer at wikimedia.de> wrote:
> * how to make two labs instances talk to each other on the level of the
> mysql database. I created a security group for this that permits mysql
> connections on port 3306 inside labs, added two servers (Wikidata repo
> and client with the client configured to look for the "internal" IP of
> the repo). But the client doesn't see the repo yet. What else would I
> have to configure?

There used to be an annoying issue with security groups when I first
used labs, about a year ago. I don't know if it's been addressed yet.
The problem that I had was that you couldn't add security groups to an
instance after creating it. So the usual workflow of 1) create
instance, 2) realize port N is blocked, 3) create a security group
opening port N, 4) apply security group to instance, 5) profit! failed
at step 4. Instead, I had to either delete the instance and recreate
it (but that's fine, because I puppetized it, right? Well, about
that... ;) ), or open port N in the default security group instead
(but this is considered a dirty hack).

The response I got when reporting it was something along the lines of
"well, that's just how it works, read the documentation", there didn't
seem to be much interest in fixing it, and for all I know it might not
even be feasible considering how OpenStack works. This may or may not
have been fixed, but I figured your port blocking problem might be
related to this.

Roan