[Labs-l] No space left on device - bots project

Ori Livneh ori at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 17 00:55:16 UTC 2012

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Ryan Lane wrote:
> We're switching the home directories to gluster on Monday. That said, it's recommended to not use /home even after the switch.

The fact that you've so often had to remind people not to use ~/ suggests that it violates people's intuitions and expectations about UNIX environments. That's certainly been my experience: I keep having to remind myself not to pile things up in ~/, which forces me to have to rethink a lot of things that have become practically muscle memory, like setting up a virtualenv under ~/ for various handy Python packages.

Are the reasons for deprecating the use of ~/ for storage of personal files fundamental to the architecture of labs? If not, I think it'd be worth reconsidering.

Thanks as always for maintaining such a useful service.

Ori