[Labs-l] Bots project is too permissive, let's discuss options

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Sun Dec 16 22:38:09 UTC 2012

> (Disclaimer: I am a toolserver user who is trying to switch over to labs)
> Excuse my n00bness here, but when we talk about "need to be in a git repo"
> is a repo on github a workable answer for it? Or do I need another Labs
> based repo that I have no clue how to do and need to go around asking for
> documentation or spending several hours trying to figure out myself?
> Personally I would really like to see documentation all set out for this
> before changes are actually made, because otherwise you leave us who 1)
> don't completely understand the project 2) don't know *nix based OSes that
> well. It seems to be more of a bureaucratic hoop than anything. I know we
> are trying to protect users files here, and it's sad that something like
> someone files get erased, but do we have to make it more difficult for
> everyone, or can we find another solution. As for gerrit, I honestly have
> no clue how to use it, and I can usually understand interfaces pretty
> fast...this one was very confusing esp. since I don't know the difference
> between git and gerrit. And honestly I don't want to spend another several
> hours learning that, esp. over my Christmas break.

This deployment system, if we choose to use it, only has a technical
requirement for the code to be in a git repo on the deployment host. If you
prefer to have an upstream repository (which is recommended), you can use
github or Gerrit or any other public repository. So, if you prefer Github,
that'll work, though I strongly recommend using Gerrit for Wikimedia
related repos.

> If this is what you guys really want for labs, then go for it, I won't
> try, and can't for that matter, stop you. But your turning people who can't
> keep up with the technical pace away from the openness and collaboration
> that your very much trying to support here at labs. And for those who don't
> try and leave and try to keep up with the learning curve, you have people
> like me doing stupid stuff like taking down the bastion SSH login server
> (which i'm really sorry about everyone...I mistyped a parameter, and put
> everything on the wrong server, though I never knew I was on the wrong
> server).

Well, the idea is that eventually things will be easier to use than they
are now. Hopefully bot deployments would be as easy as:

git deploy start
git pull
git deploy sync

Of course, dependencies would need to be installed and such... That said,
ideally it would be a matter of working with a community of folks that
would be willing to make the necessary puppet changes on your behalf if you
are unable to do so yourself.

- Ryan