[Labs-l] Bots project is too permissive, let's discuss options

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Sun Dec 16 22:28:41 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Platonides <platonides at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15/12/12, Ryan Lane wrote:
> > I've been writing a new deployment system for production.
> > We may be able to use it for this as well.
>
> That looks promising. Where are the docs?

http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Git-deploy

Note that the system is still new and under active development. It'll
likely need a little bit of work for it to be useable in Labs (as Labs
requirements are actually a little more difficult).

> > Ideally we'd handle that and other dependencies via puppet and not the
> > deployment system. It's best if the deployment system only handles
> > deployment and running of the bots.
> >
> > - Ryan
>
> Each bot should have its own file, required from 'bots', not all
> dependencies in one big file. Separating things like that, and with
> proper examples, it seems fine.

Yes, ideally we'll have a module, where every bot is a class.

- Ryan