[Labs-l] Bots project is too permissive, let's discuss options

DeltaQuad Wikipedia deltaquadwiki at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 00:09:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Ryan Lane <rlane at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> This really sucks. I think it's time we started a more formalized bots
> project.
>
>  Petr mentioned that we should likely keep the current bots project as-is
> as a development project for bots, then have a bots-production project
> that's locked down. In bots-production no one would have root, and bots
> would be deployed to the instances.
>
> I've been writing a new deployment system for production. We may be able
> to use it for this as well. It uses git, which means all bots would need to
> be in a git repo, likely in gerrit. We could deploy all bot code to all
> instances, and have configuration for which instances bots run on.

(Disclaimer: I am a toolserver user who is trying to switch over to labs)
Excuse my n00bness here, but when we talk about "need to be in a git repo"
is a repo on github a workable answer for it? Or do I need another Labs
based repo that I have no clue how to do and need to go around asking for
documentation or spending several hours trying to figure out myself?
Personally I would really like to see documentation all set out for this
before changes are actually made, because otherwise you leave us who 1)
don't completely understand the project 2) don't know *nix based OSes that
well. It seems to be more of a bureaucratic hoop than anything. I know we
are trying to protect users files here, and it's sad that something like
someone files get erased, but do we have to make it more difficult for
everyone, or can we find another solution. As for gerrit, I honestly have
no clue how to use it, and I can usually understand interfaces pretty
fast...this one was very confusing esp. since I don't know the difference
between git and gerrit. And honestly I don't want to spend another several
hours learning that, esp. over my Christmas break.

If this is what you guys really want for labs, then go for it, I won't try,
and can't for that matter, stop you. But your turning people who can't keep
up with the technical pace away from the openness and collaboration that
your very much trying to support here at labs. And for those who don't try
and leave and try to keep up with the learning curve, you have people like
me doing stupid stuff like taking down the bastion SSH login server (which
i'm really sorry about everyone...I mistyped a parameter, and put
everything on the wrong server, though I never knew I was on the wrong
server).

> - Ryan

DeltaQuad
English Wikipedia Administrator and CheckUser