[Labs-l] Problems when setting up an instance of Wikidata

Daniel Kinzler daniel at brightbyte.de
Tue Apr 17 17:03:34 UTC 2012

Hi Daniel

On 17.04.2012 17:24, Daniel Zahn wrote:
>> * MISSING/UNCLEAR: We will want to create our own puppet scripts for setting up
>> wikidata repos for testing, etc. Where do we need to submit them? How would we
>> apply them to instances?
>
> Please submit them to gerrit, to the operations/puppet _"test"_
> branch.

How reviews this, how long does it take? Is there a way to test the scripts
before getting them reviewed? It's kind of annoying to submit blindly, only to
discover a tiny mistake on the first run...

> Stuff that is merged into the test branch in gerrit can then
> be used on labs instances. Puppet classes are referred to as "puppet
> groups" in the labs console wiki, that's where you can apply them to
> instances. Brand new classes may have to be added by one of us to the
> list of groups you can choose from.

I'm a bit confused... how would I define such a group in the git repo, so i'd be
able to use it here? Do i have to know the exact name? No list to choose from?
How do I find out which groups are available in the test repo?

> Note that there are some concerns about having data in locally
> installed mysql databases. That said, though, you _can_ use the
> "MariaDB" classes as an alternative.

Hm, we can use a shared DB, but who can create databases there? Who creates the
database users and sets permissiosn? Where is the db server even located?

-- daniel