[Labs-announce] Experimental Debian Stretch image now available

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Thu May 25 14:05:11 UTC 2017

Good morning!

I've just installed a new public base image, ' debian-9.0-stretch
(experimental)' and made it available for all projects.  It should
appear in the standard 'Source' UI in Horizon any time you create a new VM.

Please take heed of the word 'experimental' in the title.  Stretch is
not yet an official Debian release, and may still contain unexpected
bugs and security issues.  Additionally, the operations puppet repo has
only begun to be Stretch-aware, so many roles and classes will likely
fail or engage in otherwise undefined behavior.

So...

- Please DO use this image to test and update puppet classes, and to get
a preview of things to come.

- Please DO NOT use this image to build any instances that you plan to
expose to the public, or that you want to keep around for more than a
few months.

When Stretch is officially released and we've ironed out some more
puppet issues I will delete this base image and purge those VMs that
were built from it in order to avoid the debt of having to support
'experimental' VMs for eternity.

Happy testing!

-Andrew