[Labs-announce] Mild but long-running Tools outage in process, resolved

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Fri Jun 30 02:43:16 UTC 2017

The kernel roll-back was a success, and things are now behaving reasonably.

At some point we'll get a proper incident report together.  The short
version of the story is: NFS performance was shockingly bad on the new
kernel, as illustrated by the attached ridiculous graph.

Once we have a modern, less-broken kernel we'll need to try this all
over again, but that won't happen right away and the update window will
be pre-announced.

Thanks for bearing with us through all this!  Most services seem to have
survived this last round of chaos but you might want to check your sites
and restart services as needed.

-Andrew