[Labs-announce] [Tool Forge] Security reboots for ToolsDB on 2017-07-12

Madhumitha Viswanathan mviswanathan at wikimedia.org
Sun Jul 9 18:50:50 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Continuing our series of security related reboots of our servers, next up
is ToolsDB (labsdb1005 and labsdb1004). ToolsDB refers to tool specific or
tool user specific MariaDB databases that we host, and are usually named
s[userid]__[name], or u[userid]__[name].

The labsdb1004 reboot is set for 2017-07-11, Tuesday at 1400 UTC - this
server is the slave db server, and should not affect tools users.

The labsdb1005 (Master) reboot is set for 2017-07-12, Wednesday at 1400 UTC
- and will cause ToolsDB downtime for a few minutes, but may extend up to
an hour.

Although the risk of any data loss caused by the reboots is minimal, please
note that while we keep 2 copies of the data in the replicated master-slave
MySQL setup, we don't do offline backups of the data in ToolsDB. I've added
a note about this in the Tools Database section on wikitech here -
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Tool_Labs/Database#ToolsDB_Backups_and_Replication
.

As always, feel free to reach out to us with questions/concerns on
#wikimedia-cloud.

--
Madhumitha Viswanathan
Operations Engineer, Cloud Services