[Labs-announce] New Puppet configuration GUI on horizon (UPDATE)

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Thu Oct 20 02:49:32 UTC 2016

On 9/21/16 2:22 PM, Andrew Bogott wrote:

> == What's coming up ==
>
> Early in October (probably around the 5th), I'll be removing the
> puppet and hiera interfaces from wikitech, and migrating any settings
> or content from there to the new Horizon system.  With luck the
> transitional period (when the wikitech settings are still in force but
> not actually visible) will be brief.  After that, we'll have a single,
> Horizon-based config that should generally work more consistently than
> either the old Wikitech system or the current mishmash.

We've just migrated all puppet role settings from Wikitech to Horizon,
and removed the Wikitech puppet configuration UI.  So, from now on,
Horizon holds the one canonical representation of what roles are applied
to a given instance.

Hiera config is still a composite of the Wikitech hiera pages and the
Horizon settings.  We may actually keep it this way indefinitely since
there are some advantages to having free-form hiera settings stored on a
wiki page with an edit history.  I'm still on the fence about this, so I
welcome your thoughts.

-Andrew