[Labs-announce] New instance creation temporarily disabled

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 20 21:21:25 UTC 2016

The Labs team has spent a lot of time discussing how to avoid future
capacity crunches.  This will be a long term consideration involving
coordination with project admins.

Outline of our progress:

- Self-service instance creation is again enabled for Labs in Horizon
(https://horizon.wikimedia.org) <https://horizon.wikimedia.org%29>

- We've reduced the permitted overcommit ratios for RAM and disk space
(T140119 and T140122)

- We've reduced default quotas which affects new and some existing
projects. We believe this will have two advantages:  1) When growth
happens we'll know about it, and 2) There will be an opportunity to
consult about what growth is necessary and how best to take advantage of
capacity.

- We are transitioning to a process for quota increase requests using
Phabricator (see T140904)

-  Even with our new nodes we are still tight on space without diligent
clean up. https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Purge_2016

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

-Andrew & the Labs team