[Labs-announce] abrupt tools login host changes

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Sun Feb 21 22:16:09 UTC 2016

This one is for Tools users only!

We're in the midst of an ongoing security incident.  At this point it's
in the realm of 'potential compromise' rather than 'known compromise'
but I am nonetheless shutting down the primary tools bastion as it is
the most likely target of any potential tampering.

I've already moved all of the affected hostnames (e.g.
tools-login.wmflabs.org) so if you get kicked off of the bastion, just
reconnect and all will be more-or-less as it was.  Things will be a bit
crowded until I have a new bastion built, but that should be done by
tomorrow at the latest.

Sorry about the sudden shutdown!  I'll be writing up a complete incident
report soon.

-Andrew