[Labs-announce] NFS /data/scratch and /data/public maintenance on 9/31

Chase Pettet cpettet at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 26 22:51:38 UTC 2016

TLDR:  /data/scratch and /data/public require maintenance on 9/31 with an
accompanied short period of unavailability

The Labs team is working towards more storage redundancy and stability.  As
part of this work, we will be shifting around storage and
require a small number of maintenance windows within the coming weeks.  On
Wednesday 9/31, the first of these is necessary in order to migrate the
'scratch' share.  This common NFS share is primarily used for adhoc and
short term operations that require large amounts of temporary space.
Information stored on /data/scratch should always be considered ephemeral,
but we will do our best to keep everything intact.

/data/public is commonly used to access our shared copy of
https://dumps.wikimedia.org/ via NFS.  The server that hosts /public/dumps
requires an update and so this share will also be unavailable for a short
time within the same maintenance period.

As always, for any question or concerns find us on IRC at #wikimedia-labs.

Chase Pettet (on behalf of the Labs Team)