[Labs-announce] New password requirement on wikitech

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Mon Nov 16 21:13:17 UTC 2015

     As part of ongoing efforts by the Operations team to beef up
security, we've just now instituted a minimum password length policy on
Wikitech.  Starting in just a few minutes, Wikitech will require
passwords no shorter than 10 characters.

     Existing users who already have strong passwords should notice no
change.  Those of you with shorter passwords will still be able to log
in to Wikitech but will be nagged to improve your password on each login.

     Please let me know if you encounter any unexpected behavior
resulting from this change.  Otherwise, bikeshedding about the value of
this policy can take place on the phabricator ticket,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T118751.

-Andrew