[Labs-announce] Labs network work Wednesday 2015-08-19 21:00 UTC

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Thu Aug 13 21:59:49 UTC 2015

     Next Wednesday Chase and I are going to have a go at updating our
labs network node.  There may be intermittent network interruptions in
communication both between labs instances and between labs and the
outside world.
     No action should be required on the part of labs users unless you
have jobs that will time out and die due to network failures. In any
case, I will send an 'all clear' message at the end of the upgrade with
details about what, if any, downtime ensued.

== technical background ==

     Labs is currently running with a single nova-network node,
labnet1001.  It's proved fairly reliable, but labnet1001 is running an
old OS (Ubuntu Precise) and is a single point of failure.
     During the maintenance window we will bring up a new nova-network
node on labnet1002, running Ubuntu Trusty, and then switch existing labs
traffic to the new node.  It may be possible to do this with minimal
network interruption, but there are a few minor unknowns in our plan.
In any case, this migration will serve as a proof-of-concept for
possible future emergency failovers.
     Presuming all goes well and things land stably on labnet1002,
labnet1001 will be upgraded and maintained as a hot spare.

-Andrew