[Labs-announce] IMPORTANT: Can your instance tolerate a reboot?

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Tue Apr 28 22:10:59 UTC 2015

Executive summary:

I'm going to reboot a ton of instances at random times next week. If you
don't want me to reboot yours, email me.

Don't worry about Tools or Deployment-prep; they're already on the
'handle with care' list.

Explanation:

I've been migrating instances to new hardware like crazy, and this
morning discovered that, upon arrival on a new server, instances are
taking up MUCH more disk space than they were.  In some cases, 10 or 15
times as much.

This turns out to be an issue with live migration and copy-on-write
instances.  The live migration code doesn't know about
never-used-and-not-allocated-space in an instance, so when I migrate an
xlarge instance that only used 8G of disk space (but had an allocated
160G of space), live-migrate copies that extra 152G of emptiness, thus
foiling all of our attempts to safely overprovision.

Cold migration (which involves shutting down an instance and copying the
whole VM in one lump) does not have this problem.  So, two things are
going to happen:

- Instances that have not yet moved to the new hardware will be cold
migrated rather than live migrated.  That means a shutdown, a few-minute
delay, and a restart.

- Large and XLarge instances that have already migrated need to be
re-shrunk to their proper copy-on-write size.  That's pretty quick, but
also requires a stop and start.

If the idea of a few minutes of downtime for your instance doesn't worry
you, then you can do nothing.  If you need your downtime scheduled /or/
if downtime is unacceptable, just let me know.  I can live-migrate a few
extra-precious instances and avoid downtime if needed.  Don't hesitate
to ask.

None of this will start until Monday the the 4th.  That gives us a good
long while to get Tools squared away, and also gives you a good long
time to notice this email :)

Sorry this upgrade has involved so many additional complications!

-Andrew