[Labs-announce] [Tools] Change default webservice release from precise to trusty

Yuvi Panda yuvipanda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 23:59:40 UTC 2015

Hello! Starting April 29 2015, any new lighttpd webservices started will
default to Ubuntu trusty instead of ubuntu precise as is the case now. Note
that none of the current webservices will be migrated by us - if you are
running on precise now, it will continue running there until you migrate it
yourself. Just new invocations of 'webservice start' or 'webservice
restart' (without explicitly setting the --release parameter) is what will
be changed. == What are the marjor differences? == 1. PHP 5.5 instead of
PHP 5.3. This gives you access to a lot more features and better
performance. If your code depends on bugs in PHP 5.3 to work properly, it
might break when migrated. 2. Newer versions of packages in general. Newer
is better, right? :) 3. Less breakages due to NFS. Trusty is in general
better at being a nice NFS client than precise is, and needs a lot fewer
restarts in general :) == Does this mean I am now forced to use trusty even
if I don't want to? == Nope. If you want to keep using precise for new
webservices / restarts, you can just use webservice --release precise
<start|restart> instead. We do suggest you migrate, however - we're hoping
to remove as many precise instances as possible over time, so this would be
a good time to migrate. We offer plenty of support :) == So I want to
migrate! How do I test? == Quite simple! Use: webservice --release trusty
restart This will move your webservice to trusty (and newer version of PHP
/ whatnot). And if everything is ok, you can leave it as is :) If not you
can move it back with: webservice --release precise restart And it'll be
back on precise :)
== Will you help me move my tool over to trusty? ==

Sure! Just ask :)
== I'm running a uwsgi-python / tomcat / nodejs tool. Should I care? ==
Nope. Those are already running trusty == I'm running my bot on precise,
not webservice. Will this affect me in any way? == Nope, although I would
encourage you to migrate too :)