[Labs-admin] bd808's on-call notes for 2017-06-13 to 20

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Tue Jun 20 22:09:20 UTC 2017

I was going to make these nicer, but my day has been full. Here's the
pretty raw notes I kept over the week.

Tues:
* Did a 2FA reset. I think this is the 3rd in a month. :/
* Request to rename LegoFan4000 to MacFan4000 on WikiTech --
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T165624

Wed:
* Helped figure out that a user having ssh problems was actually not a
Tool Labs project member. The tell-tail sign was "fatal: Access denied
for user USERNAME by PAM account configuration [preauth]"
* helped same user figure out where logs are
* steered the same user to file a phab task for a desired PAWS enhancement
* Drive by craziness from Dispenser. Expect a project request from him
in the future related to audio file fingerprinting
* Andrew broke the puppet enc for localmasters with a security patch

Thurs:
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T163375
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T167715 (stuck: db perms, access to old)
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T168021 (stuck: db perms)
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T167985 (pinged andrew to take a look)
* user ilario has bad db permissions (Madhu fixed after ping)
* halfak using all iops on tools-login; Andrew killed job

Friday:
* first !help ping, but I didn't get it on my phone :/
** turned out to be someone wanting editorial help on enwiki and
likely COI at that
* halfak using all iops on tools-login; Andrew got him to stop;
discussion of throttling options in shell pipelines ('cat foo | pv -L
3k | split <options>')
* zhuyifei1999 continues to be helpful on irc!
* dug into https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T167985 and found leaked
PTR record s in DNS from prior proxies. Error message for this sucks!
* tried to help debug a python3 + unicode mess:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/labs-l/2017-June/005018.html
* HaeB had a SWAP + mailx question (SWAP is still a horrible name ;)]

Weekend:
* Not a lot of stuff going on.

Monday:
* Andrew covered while I enjoyed some bonus time off

TODO:
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T164842 (es upgrade)
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T167971 (es creds)

Awareness:
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T166949 -- NFS (?) issues on long
lived containers
* WMCS VPS docs should describe how to add users to a project --
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T167816

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Cloud Services          Boise, ID USA