[Labs-admin] Puppet config on wikitech for tools and deployment-prep

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 18 15:42:36 UTC 2017

Periodically I get questions along the lines of "I've looked on every
page in Horizon and just can't figure out where this hiera value is
getting set."  The answer is usually "that setting is from the wikitech
project config."

The main (maybe only) users of wikitech project config are tools and
deployment prep:

   https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hiera:Deployment-prep

   https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hiera:Tools

I would like to simplify and abolish those pages and move puppet config
entirely to Horizon.  I'm open to being convinced otherwise, though.
I've opened an RFC ticket here:

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T170944

Please add comments (or amend the description with your own pros and
cons) if you care.  If nobody cares then I will probably kill off
wikitech puppet config, but even then I could use some help with
sensible transfer of those settings to the Horizon UI.

Thanks!

-Andrew