[Labs-admin] TechOps meeting notes

Chase Pettet cpettet at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 18 13:45:13 UTC 2017

On the last point, I would lean towards having one weekly (could be
monthly) stats script that collects a few numbers we can keep track of
ongoing and cease surfacing them in the main ops weekly unless there is a
notable portion to it.

I really don't want to call these target metrics or anything but "total
instances in Cloud VPS", "Total tools in Tools", "% on Grid", "% on k8s",
"new ldap user count", "new Tools user count", "nova-fullstack failures (?
or uptime?)"....if this was run on a cron and sent via email to the
labs-admin list before the meeting that would be ideal I guess.

We have a similar weekly or months stats generator for Phab (user count,
issue count, etc) and over time it creates a view of normal.  If we
suddenly have 100 new ldap users where we usually have 10, or if someone
notices new Tools hasn't gone up in a few weeks, etc.  These are hard to
quantify baselines where we will be happy to we put them in front of our
faces over time I believe.

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Bryan Davis <bd808 at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> * nginx ECDH config push breaking various random servers in prod/labs
> (to be discussed again next week when Brandon is back)
> ** Probably will want to think about how to keep packages updated in
> Toolforge/WMCS owned projects
>
> * PCC backend now supports future parser
> ** email to ops@ coming soon
>
> * s6 done for new labsdb hosts - T153743
> ** s2 importing now
>
> * Faidon building a sheet for FY17/18 procurement planning
> ** We have "second region deployment" listed for Q1
> ** RobH is un-busy at the moment so we may want to start that process
>
> * nodejs debs are built for stretch now.
> ** We probably should start thinking about when we will move the k8s
> containers to stretch.
>
> * No need to report k8s adoption metrics up to TechOps
> ** Toolforge k8s is not a TechOps goal anymore
> ** We have the graphs, do we even need/want to track this internally?
>
> Bryan
> --
> Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
> [[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Cloud Services          Boise, ID USA
> irc: bd808                                        v:415.839.6885 x6855

Chase Pettet
chasemp on phabricator <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/p/chasemp/> and
IRC