[Labs-admin] Ops meeting update 2/22

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 23 19:43:23 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 6:21 AM, Chase Pettet <cpettet at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> Let's burn the leftover techops travel budget by getting everyone to
>> go to Vienna and adding a day before for us to have a mini-offsite.
>
> Cool.

s/burn/make good use of/

I have gotten approval from Mark for the extra night of hotel cost and
submitted the paperwork to Travel. Everyone should request Vienna in
the Techops travel worksheet, because the paperwork I put through is
just for the one extra day of hotel.

>> I'm currently budgeting for 5 Cloud folks to travel to Wikimania.
>
> I would like to go this year (I missed last year).  I think Andrew and Yuvi
> were our folks last year.  Depending on budget I think it may
> make sense to plan for each person to go to wikimania every other year, with
> as much presence at hackathons as possible too :)  Maybe andrew
> and I could trade off wikimania's and openstack conferences or kubecon.  IDK
> :)

We can't send everyone everywhere, but I think that getting to
Wikimania at least every other year is helpful for staying connected
with the larger movement and not just living in our tech contributor
bubble. I am budgeting for everyone to go to the 2018 EU hackathon and
+2 days there (wherever there is) for team offsite. We may swap that
with the Developer summit depending on when and where the dev summit
and hackathon happen.

>> *  I'll be staying for the Tech managers meeting on 2017-05-22 (and
>> will drag Chase along if he agrees)
>
> I would arrive 2017-05-17 and leave 2017-05-23?  That seems fine.
>
> I need to put in for this then now I imagine.  I haven't responded to
> anything about going yet as I wasn't. sure

Yeah. Let's ping Victoria to see if she's cool with having you at the
Technology mgr meeting. I haven't seen any travel stuff for that yet,
but I did get confirmation from Travel that they are aware of it
happening and putting something together.

>> I've budgeted 6 travelers x 6 nights for all of the techops folks in
>> Cloud Services to go to a full week long combined Techops off-site.
>> Same deal as hackathon travel, if we don't spend it all that's fine
>> but its better to have more than we need rather than the opposite.
>
> One thing to keep in mind, while everyone in ops strives to cover everyone
> else (and I have no doubt anyone in the
> general ops bucket would jump in).  We should plan for our own overlap as
> much as possible.  We have been doing this
> even now as a sub-team.  That means an extra day for at least one of these
> people on the front side, and one back side.
> Over the course of several trips a year this will add up.
>
> So plans will be something like: 6 people traveling for 38-40 nights for
> overlap (depending on actual travel distances).  Usually we
> have said 1 person on hand designated is OK, and that's a minimum.  In terms
> of hackathon, wikimania, etc.  It's definitely
> more feasible for these 4 or 5 folks to all be present (than the entirety of
> ops)  but at a bare minimum we have to plan on someone not being in transit
> at all times.  Anyone who has been here less than 6 months almost surely
> won't be able to provide the needed cover, and most likely someone with a
> tenure of less than a year isn't ideal.

Let's look at the budget plan I've drafted today then and make sure
the needed overlap days are captured for the various trips that
everyone may be traveling for.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA