[Gendergap] WikiChix

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 13:20:44 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I've had a few conversations, and heard/read a number of comments about the
term "WikiChix." Now I've never been much of a "chick", and it seems other
women tend to agree in the terminology as being a bit...hokey, old school
and not the most contemporary.

I'd like to see how we can re-develop the concept into something else. I've
been using just the simple term of "Women in Wikimedia" etc, but I know
that's not the most quirky or exciting sound term when it comes to trying to
be clever at a luncheon or whatever. There's also the "Women of Wikimedia"
but "WoW"...hehe... "Oh is this a Warcraft meet-up?"

I also joined the WikiChix mailing list over a month and ago and there has
been no activity. I'm starting to think perhaps we can retire the term for
the sake of contemporary thinking.

But, perhaps I'm just being uber and everyone thinks it's the cutest name
ever and should be kept.

Thoughts?

-Sarah

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for Wikimedia <http://www.glamwiki.org>
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American