[Gendergap] GLAM was: Re: Fwd: The Feminist Movement in Museum Technology startstoday at the Smithsonian!

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 17:58:51 UTC 2011

And you are correct Daniel. I was a minor contributor to Wikipedia until I
brought my GLAM work to the table. It's been a powerful tool not only as a
GLAM person (for my resume, for networking), but, as a researcher, I
generally bring my research work to Wikipedia after submitting it to the
appropriate curators. I get more satisfaction completing a quality article
about an artist I am passionate about than I do knowing all that hard work
will end up a small tiny label underneath that artists painting on a museum
wall.  It's very empowering.

On another note, many of the most active Wikipedia community members in GLAM
WIKI are women. Now if only we had enough supply for the demand regarding
the amount GLAMs that want to work with us to fulfill needs - but, sadly
funding and time isn't allowing that. Museum studies programs are 95% female
in most programs, including mine, and I think we're missing tapping into a
resource of people who work to share information with the world (including
archivists/librarians).

I do think that GLAM outreach will be a critical tool in helping to bring
more female editors, and retain them in Wikimedia. It just takes investment
- time and money. (oh, and people).   :)

-Sarah

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Daniel and Elizabeth Case <
dancase at frontiernet.net> wrote:

> **
> The GLAM industry is a female dominated industry, and this is the first
> conference of it's type to examine feminism, technology and museum culture.
> I encourage you all to follow the conference throughout the weekend...
>
> -Sarah
>
>        As an aside, I've noticed how a lot of active female editors are
> themselves GLAM-sector people in their "day jobs" as it were, or have
> editing interests that correspond to it.
>
>         I strongly suspect that our GLAM outreach projects may be one of
> the best things we have done, and continue to do, to increase female
> participation.
>
>         Daniel Case

GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for Wikimedia <http://www.glamwiki.org>
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American
Art<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SarahStierch>
and
Sarah Stierch Consulting
*Historical, cultural & artistic research & advising.*