[Gendergap] Question for the Foundation about photographs of women

Pete Forsyth peteforsyth at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 18:33:30 UTC 2011

Update, and a request:

The discussion thread John started has been very active, with I think about
30 posts from a wide variety of customer service (OTRS) volunteers.

find personal/traumatic content about themselves, and have reservations
about contacting an unknown email support team.
* Philosophical questions have been raised about addressing this with a
"women-only" support team
* There are also practical concerns about how that could be implemented

So, in consultation with several of the people on this list, I've made an
alternative proposal, which would not shake the foundations of the OTRS
team. Basically, that we should improve our public descriptions of Wikimedia
customer service, and encourage people to *ask* for what they want --
whether it's a woman to work with them privately, or any other kind of
special request. Along with a brief observation that such a request might
delay action a bit due to limited volunteer resources.

Please take a look at what I've written up here, and share your thoughts:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Peteforsyth/Customer_service

-Pete