[Gendergap] wikisource

Sydney Poore sydney.poore at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 20:06:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 3:44 PM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ahhh, a topic worth talking about!  If we want more women in our
> community, I very strongly believe that wikisource is our greatest
> chance of bringing them in.  librarians and local studies in Australia
> are mostly women, and they are usually led by women as well, who can
> be good champions for our community.  It is a nice quiet environment,
> the editing tasks are 'simpler', which provides a nice training ground
> for newbies, and the ability to shine new light on old information
> gels well with information workers who prefer to blog about insights
> into old texts rather than fight to have their text added to
> Wikipedia.
>
> FloNight is active whenever she can find time.
> http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/User:FloNight
> (i.e. I am confident you can twist Sydney's arm to help you on Wikisource)

I love Wikisource. It might be my favorite wikiproject.  I met John there
way back in 2007 when I was adding poems by Paul Laurence Dunbar, and adding
children stories. :-)

I need to see what I can related to my most recent women's articles on WP.

> One of the two 'crats on English Wikisource is a women.  She is very
> active in moderating the tone of the community.
> http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/User:BirgitteSB

BirgitteSB, is a great resource. She is knowledgeable about Wikisource and
WMF policy in general.

Sydney