[Gendergap] Wikifashion

Nicole Willson artisticaltruist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 15:58:00 UTC 2011

My one issue with fashion wiki is the licensing. It's a copyrighted wiki:

*(a) Unless otherwise indicated, My Lemmings Pty Ltd reserves all copyright
in the Content and design of wikifashion.com. (b) My Lemmings Pty Ltd owns
all such copyright or uses it under licence or applicable law to Users of
Users of wikifashion.com. (c) Other than for the purposes of and subject to
the conditions prescribed under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) (or any other
applicable legislation throughout the world), or as otherwise provided for
in this copyright notice, no part of any Content may in any form or by any
means (including framing, screen scraping, electronic, mechanical,
microcopying, photocopying or recording) be reproduced, adapted, stored in a
retrieval system or transmitted without the prior written permission of My
Lemmings Pty Ltd. (d) My Lemmings Pty Ltd is the owner of several trade
marks which appear on its Website. Unauthorised use of these trade marks
will infringe our intellectual property rights. (e) My Lemmings Pty Ltd
reserves all other rights in Content and wikifashion.com.*
*
*
*-*
http://wikifashion.com/wiki/Wikifashion:Terms_of_Service#9..09Copyright_in_Content
*
*
I have asked about this on Quora where I know the wikiFashion founders are
active in answering questions and have never gotten an answer.

A similar area where Wikipedia is lacking is cosmetics and I don't mean in
terms of how to create makeup looks or pictures of every shade of nail
polish, but general information on cosmetics companies like Cover Girl and
Maybelline. I think there needs to more information on the history of each
company as well as criticisms. In addition, those articles are lacking in
citations.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Sarah Stierch <sarah.stierch at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>wrote:
>

>> http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/students-startup-weaves-a-web-that-keeps-growing-20110914-1k9hi.html
>>

> *''If you look at Wikipedia, a lot of the [fashion] designer or brand
> pages do not have a lot of information on them, and Wikipedia does not
> really focus on images, so you will not ever find the new collections or
> [fashion] look books on there,'' she says.
>
> ''At the moment, there is no central database for fashion, a location where
> a girl can find the latest look book for Marc Jacobs or the first collection
> for Chanel. Either they are not there or they are on a host of different
> websites, so we want to create all of that in one place.''*
> *
> *...uh..it's called Style.com and it's the greatest fashion website, *ever
> *, and has been for almost ten years. (Always makes me laugh that people
> in the fashion world forget men are as into fashion as much as women are,
> too!)
>

>> http://wikifashion.com/wiki/Main_Page
>>

> I really like the layout and such of the website. I do think it's kind of
> interesting, that for a fashion website, they don't have any copyright data
> for the photographs they are using (most are copyrighted), fair use
> mentions, etc. After reading a few pages in the Designer category... (and as
> someone recovering from a career in the fashion industry) it's a mix of
> preachy bias content about how amazing certain designers are (Yes, Karl
> Lagerfeld is awesome, I have to admit), small time or no-name designers who
> write their own articles and upload photos of their designs, etc, or cut and
> paste unsourced content. The website started in 2008 and most articles have
> under 8 edits and lack special mark up. It is promotional enough, they also
> have one paid advert and is not a non-profit org ;)
>
> Perhaps this is what people want? ;)
>
> I suppose I'm being debbie downer (as usual) but, I tend to look at female
> dominated Wiki's and see what makes them different, with a critical eye, to
> see what *we* are doing right and wrong, and vice versa.
>
> I do like this though (scroll down to badges), not the portraits..but the
> round badges. I'd love to see something like this developed for Wikipedia.
> I'd have them on my tumblr, etc.
>
> http://wikifashion.com/wiki/Wikifashion:Contributors_Needed
>

> Sarah
>

> --
> GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for Wikimedia <http://www.glamwiki.org>
> Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American Art<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SarahStierch>
> and
> Sarah Stierch Consulting
> *Historical, cultural & artistic research & advising.*

"Only the shallow know themselves." - Oscar Wilde