[Gendergap] Resolution:Images of identifiable people

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 15:00:51 UTC 2011

> IMO, the Commons policy needs to be tweaked to to ensure that the person
> giving consent for the image to be taken understands that it will be
> uploaded with a free license, and what that means.

Yes, there doesn't really seem to be an appropriate representation about
this. I also think it should be acceptable to have some type of model
release OTRS type template and expiration date for deletion if not acquired.

> Most of the the medical groups policies about medical images of people
> assumes that the person in the image has less knowledge about where the
> image might be used, and says that information needs to be provided to the
> person so that they understand how widely that it might be disseminated.

Absolutely. The moment a person releases something into the free culture
world, many have no clue what that can mean. As with many of the problems we
have with Wikimedia culture - with readers, writers, lack of contributors -
it all comes to informing the public, and again, uploaders and participants
need to be better educated (or "warned") about what their content being
release means. There has to be better ways we can do this. Even if it means
dumbing things down (for normal human beings who don't know Wiki-speak,
which seems to be a HUGE portion of the people who upload to Commons).

> Right now we don't have a procedures in place that help us gather informed
> consent from models. This is an area that needs more work.

Exactly.

> Also, we need to tweak the policy so that people who appear in a
> semi-public places are protected. Many times people will go into a
> semi-public place with  the expectation that only the people in that
> location will see them. IMO, sunbathing on a beach outside your rented beach
> house does not mean that you intended your image to be taken and uploaded
> for anyone in the world to see and be re-used in publications without your
> consent. The same is true for many people going about their normal routine.
> I don't think that someone walking from their car (or bus) into work
> intended to give consent for their photograph to be taken, uploaded with a
> free license, and their body parts and fashion apparel be categorized,
> especially in a sexualized way.

+1. There are hundreds of photographs of women sunbathing, walking down the
street, etc. It makes me severely uncomfortable that we have people taking
photographs of people in a voyeuristic manner uploading images to Commons,
Flickr, whatever. Just because someone (of any gender) lays on the beach,
walks down the street wearing something sexy, or whatever, doesn't mean they
are "asking to have their photograph taken."

-Sarah

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for Wikimedia <http://www.glamwiki.org>
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American