[Gendergap] Tagging bot?

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 14:51:20 UTC 2011

I was talking with User:Dispenser a bit on IRC this morning, he gave me
permission to post his ideas to this list (since he's better at explaining
these things..than I!)

dispenser: SarahStierch: I've read from Chatroulette that genital detection
only has a low accuracy rate, about 20% false negatives.  Face detection on
the other hand is very accurate.  Now somewhere on commons is guideline
instituted by German privacy zealots to comply with Germany's privacy laws
regarding identification of people.
[2:31pm] SarahStierch: I see
[2:31pm] SarahStierch: I figured the accuracy would be low.
[2:36pm] dispenser: You could lobby for a bot to start tagging faces in
images for a number of reason:
[2:36pm] dispenser: 1) Compliance with laws that reuses might face, e.g. in
Germany
[2:36pm] dispenser: 2) Eliminating or replacing "vacation" photographs of
locations that have family members in them
[2:37pm] dispenser: 3) Likewise with articles of clothing, e.g. a halter top
doesn't need to show a face
[2:43pm] dispenser: Something like
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Personality_rights

Something for us to think about while we examine policies and decide on our
next steps to bringing this to the larger community. (And the pros/cons of
course).

-Sarah

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for Wikimedia <http://www.glamwiki.org>
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American