[Gendergap] So this is how Commons works?

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:50:39 UTC 2011

Three more things that I want to state clearly based on these conversations:

   - Commons bases "identifiably" on the face of an individual. While in
   many situations, that maybe the only way to identify an individual, when it
   comes to nudity, etc, there is more to identify than just a face. Any
   sexually active person can often remember specific features etc. of current
   and past lovers (birth marks, hair patterns, piercings, whatever), porn star
   they watch, models they like (I can pick out Bettie Page's sucked in
   stomach, Tempest Storm's legendary "moneymakers" and my favorite Suicide
   Girls tattooed back from a mile away without heads..) etc. As SlimVirgin
   stated - the "model" is identifiable to those who know her. (And yes,
   slippery slope again..) However, I really doubt that we'd have much weight
   with this argument, but, perhaps I'm wrong in that.
   - We must stress that objectification goes beyond women on Commons. Men
   are objectified, however, generally in a different manner by "self-imposed
   objectification" - uploading photographs of their own body parts and
   self-indulgent photographs, while it appears others upload images of women
   "on their behalf".
   - Objectification of culture is a major problem, especially when it comes
   to Asian women. Whether it's anime pornography (which we have plenty of and
   people argue that it's educational because of the tools or techniques used
   to create it) or photographs of "Korean vulvas" which feature "hot Korean
   girls" (or whatever). I notice there is a similar situation with
   Eastern/Eurasian women as well. Something has to change - while these women
   might not be active on Commons, someone has to have a voice for them.

-Sarah

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:35 AM, Sarah <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 05:17, Arnaud HERVE <arnaudherve at x-mail.net>
> wrote:
> > IMO, the policies need to be tweaked so that admins like him will have
> > better policy to work with.
>
> Do we have specific Commons policies on voyeurism and invasion of privacy?
>
> Sarah

GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for Wikimedia <http://www.glamwiki.org>
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American
Art<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SarahStierch>
and
Sarah Stierch Consulting
*Historical, cultural & artistic research & advising.*