[Gendergap] So this is how Commons works?

Sydney Poore sydney.poore at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:12:48 UTC 2011

WMF projects should be a leader in assuring that people's human rights are
enforced. Right now WMF policies do not reflect best practices. But the WMF
Board and staff are moving in the right direction.

The problem is that the a large part of the community holds the idea of free
speak as a higher value than protecting the rights of people who might be
harmed.

The solution is more discussion where people can be educated about all the
ramifications of hosting controversial content. And also bringing more
people into the community who hold a more moderate view about the importance
of free speech, and who will be better able to make more balanced decisions
when we must weigh all the differing ideals and ethical considerations.

There are some essays around, I think. Read one recently about hosting
images of people. Another one would be good on the topic of voyeurism.

Sydney