[Gendergap] So this is how Commons works?

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 20:53:00 UTC 2011

This is a NSFW photo....
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Korean_Vulva2.jpg

Five for deletion, two for keep. This is its third nomination.

An admin came in today and declared it being kept because "No valid reason
for deletion, per previous decisions. Person is not recognizable." It has
been nominated twice, by anon IP's who have simply declared "porn" or
"obscene" as the deletion reason (not enough of a reason).

I nominated it, like I do many things, because it was unused on any project
since its upload in March of 2009, it's uneducational, and the poor
description proves that. I also think it's poor quality - if we need an
"educational photo of a vulva" we have two really fab ones on the [[vulva]]
article. Which of course was argued (a nude photo of a headless woman blow
drying her hair in heels with the blow dryer cord and shadow in the shot..
come...on...), and as FloNight noted, we can probably have some high quality
photos of a nude woman using a blow dryer that aren't taken in the bedroom
for the project..if it's that in demand.
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Korean_Vulva2.jpg>

I shouldn't even act surprised...I guess.. :-/

Were the reasons we provided not valid enough? Can you even challenge
something like this? Did I miss something? Am I doing this wrong? Regardless
of the subject, I don't understand why the admin would declare the peoples
reasons in valid based on my knowledge of the Commons policies...: "Commons
is not a porn site", "private location, lack of model release" etc...

(And yes, I was a little snappy on my nomination (this was my original rager
when I nominated a bunch of stuff from the "high heels" category..)...so no
need to reprimand me....I've curbed my 'tude!)

Any help would be great,

Sarah

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for the Wikimedia
Foundation<http://www.glamwiki.org>