[Gendergap] Sharing an article

Sydney Poore sydney.poore at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 15:47:02 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Pete Forsyth <peteforsyth at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I just ran across a short Wikipedia article I wrote a couple years ago, and
> thought I'd share it. It's a bio of Frances Fuller Victor:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Fuller_Victor
>
> Victor was generally known as a novelist of the 19th century American West,
> but she also ghost-wrote tremendous quantities of history for publisher
> Hubert Howe Bancroft, without attribution. She was a feminist:
>
> "But just so long as women content themselves to be parasites, no matter
> how graceful or beautiful in their dependence, so long will they degrade the
> idea of work for their less fortunate sisters, make more thorny the path of
> the honestly struggling of their sex, reduce the wages that woman receives
> for her work, and perpetuate their own moral enslavement" ([Dorothy D.],
> "Poor Ladies," San Francisco Daily Morning Call, April 25, 1875, 1<http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3687/is_199701/ai_n8747112/pg_14/>
> ).
>

> Another article that may be of interest is Pat Barker's bio. Sue Gardner
> started the article a while back, and several of us have chipped in along
> the way; I think it's a pretty strong bio, about a compelling woman. Barker
> is an award-winning, contemporary English novelist, whose work centers
> around memory, trauma, survival and recovery:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Barker
>
> I thought, along with the more serious deliberations, it might be nice to
> occasionally share interesting Wikipedia content we've worked on related to
> gender. If you've worked on something that may be of interest to this list,
> please share your links too!
>
> -Pete

Pete, this is a great idea! I've enjoyed reading the articles that people
have shared.

I have a few favorites but one that stands out is a biography of a living
person that I wrote. I rarely create BLPs because of the concerns that I
have with them being filled with unsourced negative content.

But JoAnn H. Morgan stood out as a glaring omission that I couldn't pass on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JoAnn_H._Morgan

Morgan was the first female engineer at Kennedy Space Center when she went
to work there in 1963, and she remained the only one for a long time. Back
in the 60's she helped design the rocket launch computer systems for the
initial NASA flight programs. For advancement she decided to go into
management instead of flight, and later she was the first woman to serve as
a senior executive at Kennedy Space Center.

There is loads more information about her in books, and more good images
since she worked for the US government,  so her article could be expanded
more.
Katherine Bement Davis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Bement_Davisor
Ellen_Hardin_Walworth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Hardin_Walworthare
more typical of the people who I write about.
I enjoy writing about women who were trailblazers during the late 19th or
early 20th century. Many of them were well known during their time but fell
out of common knowledge because they did have positions in society that were
recorded in textbooks.
Sydney Poore
User:FloNight