[Gendergap] Nudity vs Islam in Western Europe

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 7 17:34:36 UTC 2011

On 9/7/11 1:34 AM, Arnaud HERVE wrote:
> Western Europeans will hardly notice an
> ad with a naked woman.

Yes, I remember being in Berlin where every billboard was either a woman
in a bikini or a man dressed as a clown. It was disturbing on multiple
levels. At least in San Francisco we have a few billboards of men in
their underwear (although they are still rather rare). Personally, I
have no problem with nudity, but when women are the only gender being
exposed, I can't help hearing Ariel Levy and Andrea Dworkin in my head
talking about the commodification of women's bodies and the prevalence
of rape culture in Western society. Of course, these are not easy
concepts to explain to people who only see nudity as a black and white
issue of censorship or freedom.

I agree with Nathan's comment that we are not going to be able to
educate every person on Commons and overturn the culture there (given
the demographics we are working with), so we should choose our battles
carefully. We should also be very conscious about how we are framing
these debates. If we frame them as "protecting children and the
culturally sensitive" we will certainly be ignored. If we frame them as
"making Wikipedia safe for work" we will also be ignored. In most of
these cases we need to concentrate on leveraging existing policies and
guidelines, as well as arguing for small incremental changes in those
policies. For example, until recently we had a blatant double standard
in Commons nudity guidelines regarding photos of men's genitalia versus
photos of women's genitalia. Through persistent and reasoned argument,
the guidelines were eventually changed. We now have a board resolution
endorsing the "Principle of least astonishment", which should help to
address some of these problems. We just need to identify where it makes
sense to push for changes and be smart about it. We also have to realize
that we aren't going to win a lot of these debates. Such is the nature
of consensus-building.

Ryan Kaldari