[Gendergap] Nudity vs Islam in Western Europe

paolo massa paolo at gnuband.org
Wed Sep 7 09:24:28 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Arnaud HERVE <arnaudherve at x-mail.net> wrote:
> On 07/09/2011 04:02, Nathan wrote:
> If you have time you can have a look at the photos in pregnancy pages in
> Farsi and Arabic. You have the languages column in the left of the
> English page. The decency of those pages, which in North American
> feminism would be typically considered as protecting women, is now in
> Western Europe becoming associated with a threat to civic rights of
> women. The pages with the naked woman are the pages of countries with
> strong women rights.

You can possibly more easily check Linguistic Points Of View (LPOV) of
different Wikipedia communities using Manypedia, a tool we developed
for cross-cultural investigations.
For example,
http://manypedia.com/#|en|Pregnancy|ar
is the comparison of page "Pregnancy" in English Wikipedia and Arabic
Wikipedia (translated into English).
http://manypedia.com/#|en|Pregnancy|fa
is the comparison of page "Pregnancy" in English Wikipedia and
Persian/Farsi Wikipedia (translated into English).
http://manypedia.com/#|en|Pregnancy|hi
English and Hindi Wikipedia (translated into English).
For more, just use the "Compare with the" other language dropdown menu
on top left of the interface. Currently 56 languages are supported
(the ones the  Google translate API provides)

Moreover note that English is not the only language supported, since
you can have the pages translated in any of the 56 languages.
For example, if you know Arabic and Dutch you can have
the comparison of page حمل (pregnancy in Arabic) from Arabic Wikipedia
and Dutch Wikipedia (translated into Arabic).
http://manypedia.com/#|ar|%D8%AD%D9%85%D9%84%7Cnl

Images present in the page are grouped on top of the page (along with
other statistics such as most frequent words, top editors, number of
edits, creation and last edit dates, ...)
so that you can have a quick visual hint about the differences in
representations of the concepts by images.

I'll be presenting Manypedia at next WikiSym (3 October, California).
And of course I'll be very happy to hear any
suggestion/criticism/feedback about Manypedia by people interested in
the gendergap issue
and suggestions on how to improve Manypedia in order to ease
cross-cultural investigations and studies.

Thanks a lot and have a good time browsing Manypedia!!! ;)

Paolo Massa
Email: paolo AT gnuband DOT org
Blog: http://gnuband.org