[Gendergap] Pregnancy article lead-image RFC

Arnaud HERVE arnaudherve at x-mail.net
Tue Sep 6 07:04:40 UTC 2011

Intuitively I was not shocked by the nude pregnant woman. I found it
very casual instead. Might be my European education, I don't know.

I think that for medical articles, all the relevant body parts must be
fully exposed. And believe me I have seen much worse than a healthy
pregnant woman, because i do website editing for a faculty of medicine.

In that case the part to be expose would be the whole swell of the
belly, from pelvis to thorax. Including the breasts is ok to me.

Showing that part exclusively would not only be more medically relevant
(because thighs and neck are not relevant here), it would also make the
person non identifiable.

The clothed photograph seems to me more improper than the nude one for a
medical article. If it is medical, then the body part must be exposed
without clothes. Even if it might sound surprising, I also disagree all
photographs showings hands on belly, nude or clothed. I acknowledge that
it shows the mother's care, but for medical purpose it is the belly
alone that must be shown.

What I find much more disturbing is WP being used to publish pictures of
the photographer's wife. Even if he is very proud of her. It might be an
unwanted precedent, first of people posting pictures of their children
to show blond hair, tennis playing, whatever, second of people posting
photos of their girl-friend at the first opportunity.

That might against the interests of female participation.

Arnaud