[Gendergap] High-heeled shoes as a case study (and what makes me mad about Commons)

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 20:36:13 UTC 2011

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDH9Jq5AWkQ
It's this uncomfortable tension that I feel when I log into Commons. I'm on
the Warriors side.

***(and rant below)

> I know that some of the images have been nominated before and kept, and
> some of the images have to be repeatedly re-categorized, too. I get
> frustrated and at times feel that it is a time sink with no end in sight.

I really do think a bunch of sociopaths try to control what happens on
Commons. I get more pissed off on Commons than I do on Wikipedia, which is
bizarre. I actually *fear* the commons-l list, and I always fear that I'll
have my account banned again because of another stupid mistake which I blame
on the double-speak known as Commons documentation.

Commons is broken, and I really hope Wikimedia Foundation and others realize
that something has to change. It's as if people are afraid of Commons,
afraid of the gang of users who have commandeered control within it, and the
majority of people who wish to utilize it for what it is have to often tread
lightly for risk of screwing something up or pissing some nut job
"anti-censorship" control freak who thinks bad art and women getting off
with toothbrushes are educational materials.

People are freaking out over the idea of an imagine filter. I mean come
on..why?? It's going to be something each user (if I'm correct) can control,
no one is being *forced* to use it.   It's as if these Commons users are
afraid of being dominated. Something has to change if this website is going
to get healthy.

> That is the reason that I wrote to the mailing list to discuss the matter
> as an community issue. I have come to believe that is rooted in the culture
> values of the WMF editors who add loads of these images to commons.

Thank goodness we have this mailing list.

And I know I come off like a total nut when complaining about Commons, but,
I'm getting sick and tired of it. I'm sick and tired of fighting about
categories, educational material definitions, and double standards.

In a bit of a trollish mood, if you couldn't tell,

Sarah