[Gendergap] Females and underrepresented students coming onboard

Karen Sue Rolph karenrolph at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 4 17:42:27 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I am too busy right now to weigh in on everything I'd like to; I have expertise on gender and diversity, which is why I'm here.

I am offering the gendergap list to my Wikipedia class (university) students effective next week, so please anticipate new "faces."  The greatest concentration will be female, but I am pleased we have a diverse group, ethnically, linguistically, and culturally.  Please be kind to our newcomers; we may all make some mistakes while coming to understand Wikipedia's liberties and constraints.  I will not assign the list in terms of coursework, but I want (especially female) students to know this forum exists.  Some students will have staying power; I see it as a shared privilege to encourage all students demonstrating an inclination to get involved with Wikipedia contributing.  Thank you in advance for supporting new subscribers to this list, and the goal of greater gender and diversity equity in Wikipedia.

KSRolph